Using Fabric Correctly Can Create Fabulous Designs
Here are some fabric facts to consider.
Although it may seem intuitive, there is a certain amount of planning that goes into matching the right material with a pattern.
Not only must the right material be chosen for construction of the garment, but there are other details that must be taken into account in order to produce a beautiful garment that you would be proud to wear.
Once the material has been identified, then knowing how to correctly cut and sew the material takes into account:
- What sewing machine to use
- What settings on the sewing machine work best
- Which is the best sewing machine foot to use
- What type of thread to use
- How to lay the material out on the pattern for cutting (yes, this does make a difference)
- What size hand sewing needles to use for any hand stitching that must be done
- What type of markers to use
- What type of supplies and equipment will be needed, such as pins, shears, scissors, stabilizers or an iron
- What type of seam works best
- What type of hem is best for the garment
- How should the seam be finished, should it be by using a zig zag stitch or by using a serger
- Whether bias tape or bindings are needed
- If the garment needs interfacing what weight of interfacing will work best
- If the garment requires a lining, what type and weight of lining material will work best
- What type of closure will work best-zipper, buttons or snaps
All of these factors must be considered to produce the best finished garment.
“Taking the need to plan how to best use your material seriously, can result in a genuine feeling of both pleasure and accomplishment and a garment that you will be proud to show off and to wear for a long, long time” commented the president of Grupo Denim, Salomón Juan Marcos Villarreal.